Sunday, September 19, 2010

Finding a destination

We've started a sort-of journal for TWO's production of "A Day in the Death of Joe Egg." All of us (cast, crew, guests) have enjoyed incredible conversations before, during, and after rehearsals and meetings related to the play. This is such a profound piece that one cannot help but to think a lot about it. And through this blog we hope to let everybody in in some of our rants. I promise to write more about how the process has gone up until now, but today I'd like to share a bit on what we experienced yesterday.
Since the beginning I've had a pretty clear idea on what I would love to see in this production. Nonetheless, a part that has not been extremely clear is what the message is, if there is a message.
Karen Carothers, our (amazing!) Assitant Director spoke with Jim Payne at Wendell Foster's a couple of weeks ago to arrange a session of volunteering for the cast and crew of Joe Egg. Yesterday, we got to visit their campus and, to our surprise, Jim was waiting for us with a great surprise.
As we arrived to Wendell Foster's (I have to admit I arrived late) we were seated in the main lobby of the administration building, where we had an incredible session of Q&A with the residents and workers of this amazing institution. Several of the questions they had for us were far more important and eye-opening than many of the questions we thought we should be asking ourselves. The answers they gave to our questions were profound and had a way to show with extreme simplicity concepts I had not been able to wrap my mind around.
Let me share one of those moments. We asked the residents and workers if they had ever interacted with someone who had the same condition as Joe, and if so, how did they view that person. One of the resident's answer will stay with me as long as I hold control of my mind: "She's the same as me. She just has a different way of viewing and doing things. That's the only difference in between us" (I apologize for the use of quotes, as I'm operating from memory it probably is not literally what she said).
After the Q&A, they gave us a tour of their facilities, and invited us to a concert/dinner they had last night (which some of us were fortunate enough to attend as well).
Actresses Deborah Arvin and Katie Champion enjoy a tour of the Wendell Foster's Campus

This was a very special opportunity for all of us as a group, and for me personally. I think we all got as many answers as new questions, and after this we are viewing the play in a whole new light.
My deep appreciation goes to the Wendell Foster's campus, its residents and workers and all who make that place possible. Matter of fact, if you have never visited, you should try to volunteer there sometime. We hope our new friends can come see some of the rehearsals and help us refine the goal of the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment